COBIT Implementation Tips | ALC Training News
- No comments
Tips for COBIT® Implementation
COBIT 5 is the only business framework for the governance and management of enterprise IT. COBIT Version 5 incorporates the latest thinking in enterprise governance and management techniques, and provides globally accepted principles, practices, analytical tools and models to help increase the trust in, and value from, information systems.
There are many different ways to implement COBIT in a business or company. Neil Broadhead, one of ALC’s COBIT trainers, shares his tips and recommendations on how to implement COBIT in your workplace.
It’s more than just processes!
Many frameworks and standards focus on processes for improvement.
Although processes are one area, COBIT also focuses on seven other enablers that are essential for effective governance.
The enablers are
- Principles, policies and frameworks
- Organisational structures
- Culture, ethics and behaviours
- Services, infrastructure and applications
- People, skills and competencies
Consider which of these seven enablers will give you the greatest improvement benefits.
Do your policies make sense?
Policies should make sense to those that have to use and abide with them. It guarantees the success in implementation.
If you have difficulty answering the question “Why do we have to do this?” then consider if the policy is appropriate and fit for its purpose.
Create a Terms of Reference for any new Organisational Structure.
COBIT describes the good practices needed for any organisational structure. These should be embedded within a terms of reference (ToR).
As part of the People, Skills and Competencies enabler, job descriptions should be thorough.
When was the last time you reviewed the skill requirement for a job and ensured the job owner had the opportunity to develop the stated skills?
- ALC’s Cyber Scholarship Program – A Community Support Initiative
- ASD scraps Cloud Security Certification Program – Now What?
- Cybersecurity in your pocket: The essentials of mobile malware
- Where to Start with Digital Transformation?
- InfoSec Skilled Workforce Shortfall – Reality?
- What is the Office 365 Security & Compliance Centre?