CISM, CRISC, CISA, CGEIT, CDPSE, ISO 27001 LI & LA
Garry has over twenty-five years’ experience in governance, information and cyber security, audit, and risk management. Garry has consulted to many businesses across a range of industries in Australia and New Zealand over the last decade and worked previously in security and risk roles in the finance industry and at several NSW public sector agencies.
Garry’s expertise is in implementing security governance and management frameworks in alignment with, and to create enablement for, business strategies and outcomes. He has extensive experience engaging with business and IT leaders. He has significant practical experience in global governance and security frameworks, standards and regulations including COBIT, ISO 27001, ISO 31000, SABSA and privacy.
Garry has substantial experience as a public speaker, presenter and trainer. He is an accredited trainer for ISACA’s CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC and CDPSE, and ISO 27001 Lead Implementer.
Garry is an active volunteer for ISACA, and has held numerous international roles including Vice President, Treasurer, CISM Certification Chair, Chapter Formation Taskforce member, and is currently a mentor within the One-in-Tech Foundation. He has also served on the Sydney Chapter, including as Chapter President and Treasurer.
He has received ISACA President’s Awards, ISACA’s CISM Award, NSW Premier’s Award and 2021 nominee for Male Champion for Change with the Australian Women in Security Network. In 2004, Garry founded and chaired the precursor to the NSW Government Cybersecurity Community of Practice.
Active member of ISACA since 1995. Some recent involvements include:
- Audit and Risk Committee - 2016-2019
- Awards Committee - 2017-2018
- International Board of Directors - 2014-2016
- Finance Committee - 2014-2016
- Strategic Advisory Council - 2013-14
- Nominating Committee - 2010-13
- Credentialing & Career Management Board - 2010-13
- CISM Certification Committee – 2007-13 (Chair 2010-13)
- COBIT 5 Special Interest Group Chair, Sydney Chapter - 2012
- Sydney Chapter Board of Directors - 2003-12 (Immediate Past President, President, Treasurer, Vice President, CISA/ CISM Coordinator & Membership Director)
- Oceania CACS Conference Committee 2003, 2008 and 2015
- CISM Test Enhancement Committee - 2004-07
- CISM Practice Analysis Task Force - 2005
- International Vice President and Treasurer
- Participant in development of multiple ISACA publications including COBIT 5 for Information Security
- Developed governance, risk management and information security frameworks for various organisations.
- Performed capability and gap assessments of governance, risk and security functions
- Implemented Information Security Management Systems in accordance with ISO27001 leading to successful certification.
- Delivered annual information security programs for clients in the public and private sectors.
- Development and delivery of enterprise-wide security awareness training programs.
- Reviewed and updated Business Continuity and incident response capabilities.
- Oversaw multiple engagements with key clients to deliver business aligned information and IT security services.